Saturday, March 25, 2017

Four Healthy and Natural Ingredients that You Can Use to Substitute Sugar

We all know that consuming too much sugar is never good for our health. It will increase the risk of diabetes and also other dangerous diseases. However, somehow we just cannot distance ourselves from sugar because it makes our food and beverages taste so much better.

If you want to be healthy, you really should cut your sugar intake. But if you are just too in love with sugar, you can try using some healthier alternatives for sugar and thankfully, Mother Nature has provided us with plenty of options. But remember, it doesn’t mean that you can consume those substitutes too much. Those natural sweeteners still contain sugar, but since it is lower in both sugar and calorie, it is still healthier than the usual processed sugar we consume daily.

healthy and natural ingredients to substitute sugar

Honey

Honey has been known as a very healthy natural sweetener since the ancient time. It has so many health benefits and it is known as a rich source of antioxidants. We can even use it topically to combat infections and improve skin condition. if you want to consume honey or mix it in a cake or beverages, please make sure you use raw honey. 80% of raw honey is natural sugar while the rest 20% is water, vitamin and mineral. If you use processed honey, the amount of natural sweetener will be replaced by more water and processed sugar which will reduce its health benefits.

Stevia

Stevia is a sweetener that is made of stevia leaf. The best thing about this natural sweetener is the fact that it contains zero sugar and calorie. As a result, this is the perfect sweetener for you if you are currently trying to lose weight. Stevia is also widely used by diabetic patients in certain part of the world and beverages companies even have incorporated this natural sweetener to reduce the amount of sugar and calorie in their products.

Date Sugar

Date is a very sweet little fruit which is also very energizing. When you eat date in its fruit form, you only need to eat three to five of them and you will already feel full. Date is now also processed into sugar cube. One teaspoon of date sugar only contains around 15 calories and less than 4 grams of sugar. So, even in its processed form, date is still much healthier compared to other processed sweeteners. Date sugar is better to be used in food or cakes rather than coffee and other beverages because it does not easily dissolve.

Molasses

Molasses is made of processed sugar cane and it comes in thick and dark syrup form. Unlike other natural sweeteners that are very low in vitamin, mineral and other beneficial nutrients, molasses is pretty rich of that. This is because the extraction process doesn’t completely diminish all the great nutrients from the sugar cane. The calorie and sugar level of molasses is pretty much the same with date sugar, but with extra vitamin and nutrients such as magnesium and potassium. This is very healthy, but the aroma can be a turn off for some people.


EmoticonEmoticon